Wednesday, December 1, 2010

evergreen forever

Gentle Readers, it's time for my annual tradition (and the #1 reason my husband boycotts my blog) . . .


Oh, Christmas tree, how I long to spend forever with thee! You're back again, indefinitely this time as Brad and I have no travel plans in the foreseeable future, which for you means no departure date. Fear not! We won't kick you to the cold curb before Christmas or the day after so we can leave town assured you won't burn our house down. We picked you up on the Friday after Thanksgiving, two days earlier than usual, and with no end date in sight, well, you may still be here come March.

Even though I question others who keep their Christmas trees up long after the holiday is over, you're changing my attitude. You are so splendid that you could easily become my forever tree.

Of course, Fern and Sprout will be enraged if you permanently steal their prime, sun-filled location, but what can they do? They won't burn the house down. Let's not worry about them just yet. For now, it's all about you.

Once again, you are exquisite. How do you do it year after year? Towering at just over eight feet, you're lush and full, but not at all heavy. Your branches cascade to form the perfect cone shape. You hold our beloved ornaments, most of which are hand-me-downs, with care. Our new shades are the perfect canvas to showcase your elegance. And luckily for all of us, their red hues blend in with your color scheme. Your fresh-cut aroma--wow. Delicious. Energizing. Comforting. Inspiring. Home. Us. Love. Memories. Tradition. The slightest whiff of you brings tears to my eyes. Like I need another reason to cry these days! But you provoke tears of joy, so it's okay.

You are a special one, dear tree. No matter how severe the yucks, one glance at and sniff of you will wipe them away. You twinkle. You dazzle. You lift spirits. You heal. You have no idea of your awesome power.

Stay, darling tree. Stay here with us, forever.

2 comments:

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

Stunning! I think this is your best tree yet! And, those drapes! Oh my, did you subconciously have Christmas in mind when you selected them?! So glad this is bring so much joy to you!

Renee said...

What a gorgeous tree! Since we are leaving early, we aren't having one this year so I'll just have enjoy the picture of your tree.