Monday, November 29, 2010

turkey takeout

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving! I said it last year, but nothing makes me feel more like an adult than whipping up a holiday meal by myself. For the third time in my life, I took responsibility for Thanksgiving dinner, and everything turned out great.

I highly recommend a fresh turkey from Market Poultry at Eastern Market--juicy and delicious!

This year I did do something new, besides change my table decor and prepare a couple of different side items. Brad's parents came in for the holiday, and Brad and I also invited a couple from church to join us. At the last minute, the couple from church got sick and couldn't make it. For a moment, after worrying about the couple's health, I panicked about what to do with the certain excess of food.

And then a brilliant idea came to me.

The church listserv.

I advertised that people were welcome to join us OR they could get carryout from our meal. Within minutes, I had a couple requests for takeout. After Brad's parents, Brad, and I finished eating on Thursday, I put away the leftovers we wanted and gave everything else away. I felt so happy to feed others, and also that my three days of laboring in the kitchen would not be automatically thrown away because we ended up with way too much food.

Crisis averted. When in need, you can always count on the church listserv.

1 comment:

Doctor Blondie said...

Hello
You know how Blogger says people can find you in search engines? Well, I searched myself and found you instead. Serves me right for picking such an extremely original name. Anyway, nice to virtually meet you. Are you an MD or a PHD?

Greetings,
Natural blonde MD.