Thursday, November 11, 2010

little things that will keep you up all night

One night last week, I had insomnia, which, praise God, rarely happens to me. Despite being exhausted and falling asleep while reading my book in bed (looking glamorous, of course), once I turned out the light, my eyes remained wide open. I eventually fell asleep for a few hours, but woke up at 3:30 in the morning, unable to go back to sleep. I initially blamed my sleeplessness on the start of a head cold: scratchy throat and stuffy nose. But when the alarm finally sounded, ending my night of misery, and Brad and I got up and made the bed, I realized the true culprit: Brad's pillow.

Somehow, Brad's and my pillows had gotten switched and I didn't realize it before going to bed. While tossing and turning, I thought my pillow felt flatter than normal and I couldn't get comfortable, but I never once suspected that I had the wrong pillow.

I've never been picky about pillows, but I am now certain that this is what kept me up half the night. Am I crazy? Has this ever happened to you?

Brad, who insists on a pancake-like pillow and is far pickier about pillows than I am, had his best night of sleep in weeks with my fluffy one. (Grrrr....) I had to fight him to get it back.

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

Agh, I hate insomnia! I can appreciate wanting a certain pillow, I'm really particular about things like that! Tell Brad to go get his own fluffy pillow!

SD Dad said...

If I end up with the wrong pillow I will sleep just fine until K discovers I have hers and rips it from under my head...and not gently I might add...