Tuesday, November 23, 2010

key ingredient

For years, I toiled to make the perfect mashed potatoes. I tried adding ridiculous amounts of milk, butter, cream, broth, and half and half, but the potatoes never turned out creamy enough, until last year, when I discovered the key ingredient.

Fat-free cream cheese works just as well as the original kind. Add a block, along with some fat-free milk, a little butter, loads of salt and pepper, and fresh rosemary (my special touch, courtesy of my beloved herb garden) and you will have some second-and-third-helping-worthy mashed potatoes. Plus, the cream cheese keeps the potatoes nice and moist so they taste almost as good reheated in the microwave.

I will never make mashed potatoes sans cream cheese again. May your mashed potatoes on Thursday give creamy a new name!

2 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Yum! You had me at cream cheese. I keep a jar of minced garlic in my fridge at all times and also add a teaspoon of that. It is not crazy garlicy but OMG does it add that extra punch of yum.

Heather Nelson said...

Rats, I wish I would have read this earlier today. Mine were a tad on the dry side. Next year... :-) Thanks for the hot tip!