Wednesday, October 27, 2010

new trend?

While running the Army Ten-Miler this past Sunday, I noticed a disturbing new shoe style: gloves for feet.



http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

How could anyone run ten miles (or farther) while wearing these shoes? Have you seen them? I had never noticed them before, but I saw at least four runners wearing them on the course. (Brad saw at least that many, too.) They have a very thin sole, which I assume means little cushion or support. And the material between my toes would not only bother me, it would certainly rub blisters.

I scoff now, but will I be wearing these soon? Is this a trend I should look into? Runners, what do you think?

5 comments:

Organized Living by Amy said...

There are quite a few in my running group that wear them. And there's a whole barefoot running movement, inspired by the book Born to Run. Maybe you should check it out.

rebecca.d.winnett said...

I'm curious to try them- but obviously not the caliber runner that would really benefit from the differences shoes make :). Still they interest me.

Katie said...

Students here are wearing them everyday - not just running in them. Supposedly once you get used to them they are really comfortable.

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

I have heard amazing thing about those shoes - it's so weird but for some reason it seems to actually help!

Renee said...

I heard they are great to wear....BUT it takes a while to build up your feet for them. You have to start with very short distance. Personally, I don't think I'd ever wear them. The more cushion, the better!