Monday, October 4, 2010

love in the classroom

I teach an introduction to research methodology class to sophomores who are members of the honors program I work for. This semester, my 138 little darlings make up 13 research teams that will work together through the end of students' senior year. Being on a research team with the same people for three years can be an intense bonding experience. Strong friendships develop and not surprisingly, romances blossom.

Last Thursday, my graduate assistant of four years who teaches the course with me noticed a couple on one of the teams that sat together and held hands throughout her part of the lecture. I am so glad it was my grad and not me who noticed them. Had I been on the stage lecturing and noticed their canoodling, I would have died from their cuteness! Did the couple think they were on a date? Is that what smart kids do for dates? I mean, what can be more romantic that holding your sweetie's hand and listening to a lecture on correlational and differential research?

Smart kids can be such sweethearts. As long as they're quiet and pay attention, I will take hand holding any day over sleeping, talking, texting, facebooking, reading (for other classes) or the many other ways students find to disrupt my class.

3 comments:

Susannah said...

That's the sweetest thing. Sigh. Oh Gemstone.

Caitlin said...

Oh I love it! Now I'd dying to know who the new little couple is!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Well I hope you get a wedding invite in the coming years! How cute would that be?!