Monday, September 13, 2010

heart protectors

Guarding the house last week got me thinking about a different kind of protection, something we all long for and need, but it often eludes us. Human hearts are powerful and vulnerable. They lead us into love as well as disaster. They brim with joy and hope, ache with care and concern, and throb with hurt and jealousy. Another person knowing and protecting one's heart creates intimacy. It may be your mom, spouse, brother, mentor, or best friend, but in my opinion, if you find one person in your lifetime who not only knows and understands your heart, but strives to protect it, you are truly blessed.

Brad can sense a cloud on my horizon before I can. He digs out the underlying issue(s), gets me talking, and listens until I can giggle again, which is a sure sign that my mood's on the upswing. He knows exactly what others say (or don't say) that causes me pain, even if I paste a smile on my face and never reveal my crushed feelings to anyone. He pulls me away from cruel or insensitive people. He talks sense to me when I need to hear it and practices tough love sometimes. But he also hands me tissues and sits with me for as long as I need him to, even if my meltdown occurred at the most inconvenient moment. He takes his job as my heart protector seriously.

I guess I need to cut him some slack the next time he fails to notice my new haircut.

4 comments:

rebecca.d.winnett said...

I know that I don't know Brad very well but I adore him from reading your posts! He is such a kind gift to you my friend!

Happy Monday!

Dr. Blondie said...

You are so right, Becky!

Jennifer said...

I love this post! That's all.

SusanL said...

What a great post! You're one very lucky girl. Hope he will read this one!