Monday, September 20, 2010

a day on the bay

Every time I eat crabs, I think about how I'd love to spend a day on a boat sailing the Chesapeake Bay. But I'd never done it--I didn't even know how to do it--until my friend Emily figured it out and invited me. Emily, Dawn, and I spent the most glorious day on the bay this past Saturday.

setting sail
We boarded the Lady Sarah at the Annapolis City Dock just before ten on Saturday morning and spent the next two hours sailing to St. Michaels, Maryland, and admiring this view.

The Chesapeake Bay
St. Michaels is a darling town full of quaint shops, bed and breakfast inns, restaurants, and history.

Harbor at St. Michaels

We wandered through shops, ate crab cakes at The Crab Claw, climbed a narrow, circular staircase to the top of a lighthouse, and enjoyed the perfect weather before hopping back on the boat to sail back to Annapolis.

The Lady Sarah
We could not have picked a nicer day to sail.

Enjoying the sun on the trip back
I highly recommend this excursion. Four hours sailing the Chesapeake Bay and over three hours in St. Michaels is the perfect amount of time to both relax and explore.

A gorgeous day on the bay with sweet friends--an outing doesn't get much better than that!

5 comments:

kerryandtorey said...

you had great weather this weekend! I love the trip from Annapolis to St. Michaels. True Annapolitans might argue that you were 'motoring' not sailing :-)

kerryandtorey said...

But motoring is still a great time!

Dr. Blondie said...

Yes, Torey, so true! Motoring, but it was so great!

SusanL said...

WOW!!! I live a "too land-locked" life! Glad you had a great time :)

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

How fun! I love love sailing!