Tuesday, August 10, 2010

why I should not read so much fiction

I'm not the most creative person in the world, but I do have an active imagination. When a book gets under my skin, I think about it excessively, and even begin to convince myself that the impossible could happen. When I finished The Twilight Saga the first time, I remember staring at each person I passed on the street and wondering if he or she could be a vampire parading as a human. A few of them certainly looked like a potential Cullen!

When I finished reading The Art of Racing in the Rain, a story narrated by a dog, I went for a walk and saw a dog who I was certain could talk if given the opportunity. Even to this day, because of that book, I firmly believe that dogs understand much more than we give them credit for.

Now that I've finished the final installment of The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo series, it's happened again. I see Lisbeth Salander EVERYWHERE! Last weekend on the way to Virginia Beach, Brad and I took a break from driving and in the restroom, a petite young woman with a boyish figure, black hair, multiple piercings and tattoos, black t-shirt, and a surly expression washed her hands in the sink next to mine. I couldn't take my eyes off her. After she left, I ran outside to tell Brad, "The girl with the dragon tattoo was in the restroom!!"

He thought I was crazy.

Am I nuts? Or does this happen to you, too?

2 comments:

Organized Living by Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Organized Living by Amy said...

Certain books do get in my head, but I don't think to your extreme. You'd be so proud. I finally got into Twilight. It took me forever to get half way through the first one. Now I'm rushing to finish Eclipse.