Monday, August 23, 2010

feeding many

Earlier this summer, I decided that Brad and I needed to meet and become better acquainted with members of our church who live near us. I drew boundaries on a Capitol Hill map that basically equated to a five-block radius from our home (give or take) and combed through the church directory to identify every member who lives within my area.

Fifty members--more than I expected--were eligible for my invitation list.

Now that we have a house and yard, and a little more space than we used to, I decided to invite everyone on the list to a BBQ. I figured that many of them wouldn't be able to make it anyway and I couldn't bear to redraw my boundaries and leave anyone out.

More than 35 members responded that they would attend, plus several children.

Brad asked me what I had gotten him into.

It's been a few years since I cooked for a large group. I used to nearly kill myself cooking for large groups by making 20 different dishes that would take me days to prepare. But this time, I decided that simple would be better. We offered burgers (regular, turkey, veggie) and the fixings, pasta salad, fruit salad, mozzarella caprese, chips, and brownies. Brad manned the grill and I was able to prepare most of the other food ahead of time. And, I didn't even have to take a full day off work to pull this event off--only a couple of hours!

The BBQ went so well. We had a mix of young and old, single and married, and couples with and without children. Every person there knew at least one other person, but no one there knew everyone. Because the food was so easy, Brad and I were able to mingle almost as much as our guests. Meeting your neighbors in a small group of 40 is much easier than trying to find them on Sundays in a crowd of more than 800.

I sense a tradition in the making.

6 comments:

Organized Living by Amy said...

Glad it went so well!

SusanL said...

What a great idea! So glad (and not at all shocked) it went so well!!

bsblchik said...

I love this! So cool. Thanks for the smile this Monday morning. I hope I can find a church here in Chicago that has such great people and community!

Katie said...

That's awesome! You are the hostess with the mostess!

Stacy said...

What a great idea!! What a great way to partner with others for the sake of the gospel - by meeting them first! You and Brad are amazing, by God's grace. We miss ya'll, Jack is looking forward to catching up with Brad tomorrow. I'll have to tag along next time...

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

Where do you go to church that draws 800 people? When I lived on the hill I tried out a bunch of churches and they were all so small. That's such a great idea though. I'm sure everyone appreciated getting to know their neighbors. Love it!