Thursday, July 22, 2010

kitchen window valance

My staycation last week wasn't a total waste. I accomplished one project that had been on my to-do list for months while catching up on the second season of True Blood. (Yes, we pay for every sports channel offered. HBO? Not so much. You can guess who makes these decisions in our house.)

My kitchen window has been looking a little naked since we moved in.


My orchid on the window sill and the tiny plants on the shelves (far left in the picture above) need light, so I was looking for something decorative that wouldn't restrict the sunlight.

I hauled my thirty-year-old sewing machine up from the basement and designed and sewed a valance for the window. I completely winged this project with no pattern, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.


I even got fancy and inserted a lining so that it would look neater and more finished from outside the house.


The color matches the green walls perfectly and the valance makes the kitchen look a little more homey.


I love the views of my sweet, still-blooming backyard in these pictures. And now I can still enjoy the view when I stand at the sink--the window just looks prettier.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Good job! Looks great!