Monday, June 14, 2010

not a lawyer, but I have heart

Although I'm a bit behind on my projected miles for 2010, I can check one of my running goals off my list: I ran a new-to-me race on Saturday, the Lawyers Have Heart 10K.

And boy, did I feel inferior completing the registration form when I had to mark "N/A" for so many categories: my current firm, my former firm, my law school alma mater, my law-related professional development, etc. Brad and I laughed at how the different law firms tried to outdo each other with creative slogans on their employees' race shirts.

Although the weather was sunny and hot and I ran slower than normal, the race organizers, with the exception of hanging the start/finish sign backwards, did a great job. Four water stations for a 10K race is just unheard of, at least in my experience. But we had FOUR! And they passed out cold, wet, heart-shaped sponges at miles two and five! After I sopped my face and head with the sponge, I stuck it down my shirt to keep me cool, which it did for the next few minutes. What an unexpected blessing!

Running on Canal Road to the Georgetown Reservoir and back was woodsy (which meant full shade--YAY) and breezy. I felt like I was in the country. I didn't enjoy the last mile or two back to the Georgetown waterfront in full, bright sun on the Whitehurst Freeway, but overall I would say that this race is decent and I would consider running it again.

Most importantly, finishing this new-to-me race brought me one step closer to meeting my 2010 running goal. Now, back to catching up on those miles . . .

No comments: