Saturday, May 1, 2010

happy may

Oh, May, how I love you. You give January some serious competition. You return the farmers' market to my backyard. I fled through our back gate, raced across the small parking lot, and visited the market on its opening day today, making sure to give business to the market's newest vendor. I had no choice, really; I couldn't let the new kid on the block feel left out, could I?

The excitement--at the market and in my heart--is palpable. Summer is imminent. Vacation is four weeks away. The warm temperature today guarantees a comfortable evening in a cocktail dress (with no wrap necessary!) at the gala that Brad and I are attending tonight. My last class of the 2009-2010 academic year is next Thursday. My students will leave in just over two weeks. The summer stretches lazily in front of me: open, available, promising, inviting.

And it will be over in the blink of an eye and I'll be teaching 160 students in my fall class before I know it.

But I won't let my thoughts wander there just yet. For now, I'm joyful it's May. For now, May's enough.

2 comments:

SusanL said...

What kind of pie did you get? Hope you and B had fun tonight!

Dr. Blondie said...

I bought two mini-pies: apple crumb and chocolate/caramel/pecan. Both were delicious!