Wednesday, May 12, 2010

backyard planting bed

We're back to garden month(s) posts for highlights of my most recent accomplishment.

Up until a few weeks ago, the large bed that paralleled the fence looked like this:


With the exception of pulling up old, dead plants left by the former owners and planting a tiny hydrangea bush (left end of the bed) that failed to bloom last summer, I didn't do anything with this bed. If I can't be productive in the yard early in the spring, it's hard to motivate myself to do anything. What's the point of landscaping in July? If I'm going to put forth the effort, I want to enjoy the fruits of my labor for as many months as possible. This bed was a mess. As you can see in the picture above, the ancient trumpet vine (left side) raged out of control and tried to spread along the entire fence. Weeds grew up and climbed the trellis. The bed was dull and lifeless and begged for color.

I rolled up my sleeves and spent two Saturdays bonding with my gardening sheers, planting flowers and bushes, pulling weeds, and flinging mulch. Here's a picture of what the bed looks like now.


I whacked away at the trumpet vine (I still have more to do, once the remaining branches become brittle and allow me to disentangle them easier.) and cleared the trellis of the myriad climbing weeds.

Let me take you on a tour of my work.

In the next shot, you'll see the pruned trumpet vine, my slightly bigger hydrangea bush (from last summer), a row of snapdragons in front of a climbing rose bush (that I hope will grow, climb the trellis, and bloom), and the first of two Knock Out rose bushes.


Here's a better picture of the Knock Out rose bushes (one has dark pink and one has light pink blooms). I placed a row of dahlias in between the rose bushes to add color and another climbing rose bush behind them to fill the empty trellis. (Note: the climbing rose bush in the picture has yet to do anything and I planted it almost a month ago. It may be dead and need a replacement.)


On the other end of the Knock Out bushes, I planted more snapdragons in front of another climbing rose bush. A brand new, teeny, tiny hydrangea bush and a climbing Cleomatis vine anchor the end of the bed. If you haven't noticed, the arrangement to the right of the Knock Outs more or less mirrors the arrangement to their left. Yes, I'll say it again--I like symmetry.


I added acid to the soil to turn the hydrangea blooms blue. I scattered a thick layer of black pine mulch around the plants. I hope the mulch will lessen my weed pulling this summer--my back just can't take it anymore!

I'll post another picture later in the summer when the plants have established their roots, grown, and (hopefully) bloomed!

1 comment:

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

I think you will really like the knock outs. We got a small one two years ago that has grown fantastically and is in it's first of several full blooms right now!