Wednesday, March 10, 2010

we like places

Another room in the house no longer suffers from naked walls. It's official: we live here.



A few months ago, we bought a map of our beloved neighborhood, Capitol Hill, circa 1990s, from an artist at Eastern Market. It includes all of our special spots: former apartment, current house, church, Eastern Market, Lincoln Park, and many favorite restaurants. Here's a closer look:

 

Another artist featured on Etsy that I've fallen in love with is Art Shark Designs, and specifically, her City Love series. The black and white Gocco prints feature a couple holding red umbrellas at signature sights in cities around the world. Here is a closer look at the two DC prints I bought: DC Love II (Capitol) and DC Love III (Washington Monument/Tidal Basin).

Because the prints are so small, I bought seven (and am waiting for one more to be released) to hang throughout the room. In addition to the two DC scenes, I chose Chicago Love, San Francisco Love, Venice Love, Paris Love (Eifel Tower), and Paris Love II (Sacre Couer), all places that Brad and I have visited together. Mats and frames from Michael's are an easy and inexpensive way to complete the look.

Only one blank wall in the dining room remains.


What do you think? Do I need something on this wall? And if so, any ideas of what to hang there?

9 comments:

Organized Living by Amy said...

I love the prints. I don't think you need something on each wall. It looks great.

Katie said...

Love it especially that the prints are all places you have visited together. I agree with Amy - that wall looks great as is.

Amanda said...

I too love the prints. The umbrellas really add a fun touch (and I just spend 10 minutes looking at the artist's shop on Etsy -- love her stuff). If anything, you could put a mirror on that wall but you don't need to.

VA said...

Your dining room looks great! You could put a piece of iron work on the blank wall.

kerryandtorey said...

I really like the 'love' prints! I might have to order the Alexandria one :-) I think the wall looks great!

KtownP said...

Very nice! I agree that a mirror could be good on that wall.

SusanL said...

Looks wonderful! I've always thought red dining rooms were so pretty!

KellyintheDeli, Vancouver, BC, Canada said...

I always love a great mirror! Makes any room seem open and always adds more light!

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

I also adore those City Love prints. I got the Philly love one for my brother for Christmas two years ago.

I vote for leaving the last wall empty for now. It looks fine and who knows when you might stumble across just the perfect piece for it in the future. In our living room I feel like everything is full (admittedly with things I love) but once or twice I've seen something I really like but just don't have room for. It might be nice to have an empty wall to allow for future finds!