Tuesday, March 16, 2010

i fiddled

Gentle readers, we have reached the climax of art month: the primary piece in our house has now been framed and hung.

Let me tell you a bit about this piece. I uploaded the photo below--the block where Brad and I used to live--to Photo Fiddle. I appreciate this view every morning that I run around Lincoln Park. The brown row house in the middle is our old building. Brad and I wanted to bring a piece of our old home, a place we were very attached to, into our new house, so we decided to have an oil painting made of the picture.


Once I uploaded the photo, I fiddled, which means I experimented with various types of art: sketches, oil paintings, water colors, prints, and collages. The wonderful part about Photo Fiddle is that you can see exactly what your art will look like before you order it. They offer a wide range of sizes and styles. Their prices are extremely reasonable, especially considering that no one else in the world will have my painting. It's my digital picture, and the painting made from it is unique. I ordered the painting on a Saturday and it arrived the following Friday--very quick service, indeed!

I settled on the impasto style and ordered a gigantic piece (54 inches wide by 36 inches tall) because we had a large wall behind the sofa to fill. The painting was too large to fit in my car, so my dear friend and neighbor Rachel, who conveniently owns an SUV, drove the painting (and me) to and from Michael's so I could get it framed. Thanks, Rachel!

And here it is.


Here's a closer look.


I love the way the painting turned out. The piece is huge and it fills the space perfectly. Its vibrant colors brighten up the neutral walls and furniture. I need two smaller pieces for other blank spaces in the living room, but this centerpiece already makes a world of difference in the room.

Speaking of brightening up the room, the window treatments are in--YAY! Stay tuned for pictures later this week.

5 comments:

Organized Living by Amy said...

It looks great, and looks perfect in your living room. I think you made the right choice. As much as I love Ryan's dad, it would have taken him a year to complete this ginormous painting.

Katie said...

Love it! It looks amazing!

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

STUNNING!!!

SD Dad said...

Love the art work...just went to the site and may get a picture from our trip to Bruge or Spain done in the future...

SusanL said...

WOW!!! What a great idea!!