Thursday, September 3, 2009

the week of white

Here we are, only days before Labor Day, and I find that I've done it again: I've worn white almost every single day this week. White skirt, white pants, white capris, you name it, I've worn it. I've even carried my white purse all week.

Why?

Because Labor Day is upon us and I am the most traditional sort of gal. I follow the rules, though most some consider them to be archaic. Although I've given it a valiant effort, I just can't bring myself to wear anything white after Labor Day. So I always cram all of my outfits involving white items into the week right before the deadline, just to wear them one more time, or sometimes for the first time, before the garments resume their permanent place in storage for the next nine months.

Every year I question this madness. Which is the lesser of two evils, spending an entire week parading around like a bride, an angel, or (gasp), a member of a church choir, clad in white, a color that even after a trip to the beach, never compliments my skin? Or is it better to break tradition and wear white whenever I'd like?

Perhaps the third, and better option, for me at least, is to never wear white at all. But I do look forward to adding a new color to my wardrobe come Memorial Day, even if it's only for a short time.

2 comments:

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

Maybe you need to embrace winter white! :)

Katie said...

White is the new black! I swear!