Monday, September 7, 2009

not the holiday we expected

After greatly anticipating our holiday, and lazing about in bed, and then going for a run, we came home to a surprise. In the fifty minutes that Brad was gone on his run this morning, someone broke into our house, stole a number of small items, and left our home in complete disarray. The burglary occurred sometime between 9:30 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. this morning. With it being a holiday, a day that we would normally be home, we hypothesize that someone must have been watching our house and then struck soon after both of us had left. The timing is too much of a coincidence.

Brad returned home first and PRAISE GOD that the thief/thieves were already gone. We can deal with a stolen purse, wallet, ipod, digital camera, cell phone, keys, ring, watch, blackberry, cash, clothes, and the like. I could not deal with an injured (or worse) husband.

The crooks turned over a garbage can in the alley and stood on top of it to jump over our back gate, which was locked. They smashed in our kitchen window, assaulting my beautiful orchid on the window sill in the process, to enter the house. I would post a picture of our now-boarded-up window, but the crooks snatched my digital camera. They pulled items out of random drawers in the kitchen and both bedrooms and tracked mud through the entire house, leaving a huge mess on our nice floors and carpet.

They left our most valuable items, such as the television, computer, china, crystal, silver, etc. and just seemed interested in grabbing smaller items. We both lost all of our identification and means of paying for things (cash, credit, debit cards) because my purse and Brad's wallet were stolen. Guess that it really was time to retire my white purse for the year. Little did I know that it would happen this way.

For unknown reasons, they stole Brad's college class ring, but left his wedding ring. They also bypassed my wedding/engagement ring, which laid in plain view on our dresser (we were running, so we weren't wearing any jewelry). They also left my watch, jewelry and stash of Christmas money (aka my clothing fund) untouched. But they took Brad's flash drive that he uses for work (weird!), one of his sweaters from Zara, and all of his t-shirts from Banana Republic! And it looked like they rifled through all of Brad's drawers of clothes. We can't make sense of their selections. We do suspect that it was a couple of kids who did it though. Their work doesn't seem like that of a professional.

The thieves also took Brad's set of keys, but left mine (we both had only our house key with us, tied to our running shorts). That means that the thugs now have one set of our car keys. But we hope that we've outsmarted them to save our one and only car from getting stolen tonight (the dealership was closed today, being a holiday and all, so we can't get the car rekeyed until tomorrow). We moved the car several blocks away and locked a different club to the steering wheel.

We've dealt with the aftermath of the burglary all day. And it's been extra challenging because with it being a holiday, many places are closed. Our handyman rigged up a temporary solution for our busted window because it can't be fixed until tomorrow. Same with our car. We have no identification, so we have to go straight to the DMV tomorrow morning. And I am rescheduling doctor's appointments until I have a credit card to pay for them! I can't get into my office at work because my staff ID was stolen. And Brad can't get into his office because his keys were taken. Our cell phones were stolen, so we've had to make all of our phone calls on our home phone, which isn't set up with long distance service. All of the things that you don't think about until this happens to you.

I have to admit that I tend to be a hoarder of discount cards that I use at all sorts of stores. And of course I kept every single card in my wallet. I now need replacement library, Blockbuster, Safeway, CVS, Giant, DSW, AAA, Best Buy, metro, and probably myriad other cards. It will take me months to figure out what I am missing.

Brad mourns the loss of his Chop't frequent diner card. He was only one visit away from earning his free salad! The hooligans!

While living in the city for over nine years now should have prepared us for this, it's still a shock when it happens. Unfortunately, we're not burglary virgins. In the nine years that we've lived here, our car and our old apartment building were both broken into twice. Fortunately for us, our old apartment was at the very top of the building, and was never touched, but we still freaked out each time the building was broken into and our neighbors were the victims. We moved into our new house exactly five months and one day ago. I regret that we didn't even make it six months before being targeted.

Overall, we are grateful that no one was hurt. It could have been much, much worse. We are alive and safe. We have home owner's insurance, and after we pay our $1,000 deductible, our insurance company will begin to replace some of our stolen items. And as soon as our replacement credit card arrives in the mail, rest assured that we'll be making a trip to Home Depot to stock up on some security reinforcements for our windows. We may have lost this battle, but we vow to fight again, hopefully better armed next time.

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry this happened to you guys, but I'm so thankful neither of you were injured. I've been a burglary victim before, and although I didn't lose as much as you and Brad, it just feels terrible to know that someone has been in your home. I hope you're able to get your ID and everything straightened out soon. Please let me know if there's anything you need!

KtownP said...

I'm so sorry to hear this happened, but am so glad both of you are safe. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Susannah said...

Oh, Rebecca! What bad news! I'm sorry your holiday was spent this way. It sounds like you have a positive attitude...good for you.

Katie said...

I'm so sorry to hear this...though I'm so glad your wedding rings were not taken...that would have been just too awful. You are inspiring me to review our apartment and how we can be more safe.

Aimee @ Smiling Mama said...

Oh no! I am so so sorry to hear this happened. What can we do? I mean it...can we lend you some cash until you get access to your credit/debit cards again? Seriously, let us know.

Organized Living by Amy said...

Ahhh! I'm so sorry. It does sound like you were very lucky. I'm paranoid about buying a flat screen tv because I feel like the second we bring it home we'll get broken into. Good luck with everything this week.

Dr. Blondie said...

Thanks friends!! We're recovering. I took today off from work to take care of some business related to reclaiming my identity. More updates coming soon. The good news is that I have a driver's license again, so I can pay for things the old fashioned way: by writing checks! So fun! It's been forever since I've done that:).

Allison said...

Terrible! I'm so sorry to hear about this! It's super frusterating to deal with, especially on a holiday. Make sure you send the police report to the credit reporting agencies....

Andrea said...

Rebecca, I am so sorry for that! Please let me know if there is anything Brad and I can do to help!

SusanL said...

So sorry about the break-in, but (just to echo everyone else) we are so glad you two are okay! Hope you can get everything replaced without too much hassle!

Amy said...

Oh gosh! How awful! I'm so sorry to hear about this!