Tuesday, July 21, 2009

summer fresh

In honor of summer, I thought that I'd share one of my favorite recipes. It's perfect for those of you with an overgrown herb garden, like me. I can't take credit for inventing this recipe though. Kudos to my friend and former co-worker, Amy H., who has generously shared so many of her wonderful recipes with me. She should seriously consider publishing her own cookbook!

Pasta and Chicken in Hot Oil

Ingredients:
Olive oil
LOTS of fresh basil (slivered), oregano (whole leaves pulled from the stem), and parsley (whole leaves pulled from the stem) (Note: you need FRESH herbs for best results...)
Minced garlic (4-6 cloves)
1 package cherry tomatoes, cut in half
Freshly grated parmesan
Salt and pepper to taste
3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 box of penne or the pasta of your choice

Directions:

In 1/3 cup of olive oil, saute the garlic lightly. Add the cherry tomatoes, fresh herbs, and salt and pepper to taste. Warm it up, but don't let the mixture really cook. It's best to warm the mixture first so that the herbs and garlic infuse the oil with their flavors while you prepare the rest of the meal. You can warm up the mixture again right before you pour it over the chicken and pasta.

Cook pasta of your choice according to the package directions.

Saute the chicken in a little butter and olive oil until cooked. After draining the pasta, put the chicken on top of it and pour the olive oil mixture over the chicken and pasta. Toss and serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks for the mention in your blog. A yummy dish for sure! I have more herbs than I can use in my garden - a good reminder to make this one soon!