Friday, July 31, 2009

garden success

I may be a complete failure when it comes to growing tomatoes, but I am still enjoying my garden and yard. Here are a few pictures of my recent doings:

Peppers: About a month ago, the squirrels harvested my only three (at the time) nicely sized bell peppers and engaged in a game of kickball with them around the yard before they decided to gnaw them to death. I recovered two of the peppers, in opposite corners of the yard, looking bruised and battered with little tooth marks all over them. I never found the third pepper. But, the pepper plants have fought back. Now, both bell pepper plants, as well as the jalepeno plant in the container, boast beautiful peppers. I feel hopeful this time. But I know making my optimism public guarantees that I'll get home tonight to find all of the peppers either eaten or missing. I dare the squirrels to mess with the jalepeno peppers. They might just get what they deserve after all!


Herbs: Yes, growing herbs is definitely my strength. I adore my crazy little overgrown herb garden. I cook with fresh herbs every single day. DC Readers: you are welcome to come over at any time and pick as many herbs as you'd like. I'd love to share.


Hanging baskets: I took down the lanterns (pictured in a previous post) and opted for hanging baskets during the summer. I love, love, LOVE them. I get excited when I gaze out the kitchen window or door and see baskets of flowers. And the squirrels and birds haven't bothered them yet (again, I hope that I'm not jinxing myself).


Deck furniture: I mentioned in a recent post that Brad and I eat every meal outside now. I found this great little dining set at Lowe's for a ridiculously cheap price. It's cute and it fits in the small space perfectly! And the table even has a little shelf underneath, perfect for a plant (which you can see that I took advantage of)! I hope to sew seat cushions for the chairs eventually.


2 comments:

Organized Living by Amy said...

Very cute...I love the wild and full herb garden.

Katie said...

Very nice...you might inspire me to try peppers in my community garden next year.