Tuesday, July 14, 2009

can you say Judy Blume???

I just discovered the list of authors slated to attend this year's National Book Festival on September 26th and I am most excited to see Judy Blume's name! The Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret author made such an impression on me as an adolescent. My book club even read that coming-of-age tale only a few years ago so that we could laugh about our own puberty-related stories (yes, it's easy to laugh now, 20 years later) and share our admiration for Judy's influence on our lives during those rocky years.

A number of other authors that my book club has read are scheduled to attend:
  • Julia Alvarez, In the Time of the Butterflies
  • Jodi Picoult, My Sister's Keeper
  • Jeannette Walls, The Glass Castle
  • David Wroblewski, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle
  • Azar Nafisi, Reading Lolita in Tehran
And there are many more big names on the list! Check it out, and I hope to see you there!

1 comment:

Susannah said...

Azar Nafisi was Goucher's commencement speaker this year - she was a good speaker, though not for commencement. And Jodi Picoult is certainly a rich lady these days with the movie out!!