Thursday, July 9, 2009

and the daisies will rise again

After a gruesome beheading by pesky critters only days after planting, one lone Gerber daisy has fought back and bloomed again.

This resurrection has taken months. And thus far, only one Gerber plant is brave enough to blossom again, but I have faith that with my diligent watch and care, the others will soon follow suit.

The red spots on the leaves in the picture are red pepper flakes that I have scattered EVERYWHERE to try to deter the squirrels. I monitor the situation day and night. While I still chase the nasty creatures from the yard each time I enter it, thus far they've left the pretty yellow bloom alone.

They must be too busy gulping down my just-ripened cherry tomatoes whole to notice the flower.

I may not harvest enough ripe cherry tomatoes for a salad this year, but I'm determined to keep this bloom intact and beautiful.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Good luck! It's a lovely flower...good thing you got a picture , just in case something happens.