Friday, June 26, 2009

missed opportunities

Last night, a friend told me that she thought that Stephenie Meyer had participated in a former National Book Festival. Sure enough, after a quick Internet search today, I learned that she was in fact featured at the 2006 National Book Festival, soon after her second book, New Moon, was published. I was there all day that year, but I had no idea who she was until last fall, when I caught wind of the Twilight buzz because of the first movie's release. Now I'm kicking myself that I didn't know who she was in 2006. I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me over the years. Despite my faithful, all-day attendance at the book festival each year, because six or eight sessions run concurrently in the various pavilions each hour, I inevitably miss out on some fascinating authors. Then, years later, I'll discover authors who I love only to realize that I could have heard them speak had I fallen in love a little sooner.

Shucks. Stephenie's too big of a name now to make a return appearance.

If there ever comes a day when I no longer work and have nothing else to do with my time (I'm not holding my breath for this to happen), I vow to read something by every single book festival author so that I am better prepared to make the most of this wonderful event.

And now, on to book three!

No comments: