Wednesday, June 17, 2009

the classics can wait...

... because I am OBSESSED with the Twilight books. I'm only 100 pages into the first book of the series, but Edward Cullen is already invading my dreams at night.

I've avoided these books for a few months because, like my initial reservations with Harry Potter, the subject matter just didn't sound like "my thing". Teenage vampire romance? Boy wizards? No thank you.

But the creativity and the feelings of total escape have seduced me. Stephenie Meyer's writing skills in no way rival those of J.K. Rowling, but there's something about revisiting teenage life and young love that is so lighthearted and refreshing. I read too many tragic and depressing novels. The Twilight series is a nice switch, and the books make a perfect summer reading choice.

4 comments:

Smiling Mama said...

Too funny! I also just gave in and started the series and I, too, am obsessed!! I am almost finished with the first book and even though I know I can get the 2nd one from my mom in a few weeks, I bought #2 so I could start it immediately. Too funny!!

kerryandtorey said...

I read all four so quickly last October and then got Kerry to read all of them :-)
-torey

Susannah said...

I just gave in and we have the movie sitting on our coffee table at home, ready to watch. But, do you think I should read the books first? Like you, I avoided them too.

SusanL said...

Have fun! Tim was so glad when I finished those up since I couldn't put them down. Make sure you read them before watching the movie :) Enjoy!