Tuesday, May 19, 2009

calm, cool, and collected

I took some time off of work last week to paint our master bedroom. I am so proud of the finished product. Brad had a horribly busy work week, so I prepped, painted, touched up, and cleaned up all by myself, no small feat for a fairly large room (by city standards)! Below you will find some photos of the semi-finished product (NOTE: we still need some things... see my to-do list at the end of the pictures).

Notice our refinished 1915 red pine hardwoods! I should post a "before" picture to show you the carpet when we moved in and what a beautiful difference the refinished floor makes. The final product was worth every single penny. I chose an ice blue paint hue to bring out the blues in the bedding. It's a teeny bit more "blue" than what I had hoped, but it's a beautiful color and I find it very serene. The color is called Bashful Blue by Benjamin Moore. I've fallen in love with the flat finish. It seems very formal and elegant to me.


Brad and I bought new bedroom furniture because we spent the first six years and ten months of our marriage sleeping on the child-size double bed that Brad inherited when he grew out of his crib at age two. Yes, he moved straight from his crib to a double bed. I cannot believe that we kept that bed for so long, or that two adults actually fit into it, but it worked well in the space limitations of our old apartment. Now that bed (and its matching child-size dresser) occupy our guest room, so our guests will get to experience the coziness of it. Couples, beware!

Because we will probably always live in small spaces, we chose a queen platform bed for the extra drawer space underneath the bed. We adorned the bed with a divine, extra plush, pillowtop mattress! Our new bedroom even affords us enough space for TWO nightstands, my dream come true! I enjoy reading at bedtime, and I have dreamed for six years and ten months of having my own nightstand and lamp. Our old apartment only had room for one nightstand, which Brad rightly claimed because he doesn't trust me with alarm clock duty (he shouldn't!). I swear that my vision has deteriorated in the past six years and ten months from trying to read in low light on my side of the bed.

Here's a picture of our bed and two nightstands. The closet that Brad and I share takes up most of the wall on the right.


Here is a picture of the view from the plant's location in our bay window. Please ignore the full clothes hamper. Because I gave up Brad's childhood desk that I used as a sit-down vanity for years, I bought this temporary, wheeled storage unit to hold my "beautifying" essentials until I can figure out something more permanent. The device is on wheels, so I can roll it into a closet to hide it if I need to.


Our bedroom receives wonderful light because of the bay window and the additional window on the left. The sellers left the wooden blinds, an unexpected gift. We plan to purchase a comfortable upholstered chair to place in the bay window with the plant. We need a place to sit to put on and remove our shoes; our bed is too high to make such tasks easy or comfortable!


MBR tasks still to be accomplished:
  • Curtains
  • Decorative pillows for the bed (hopefully my first project once I learn to operate the sewing machine that I inherited from Mama Millie)
  • Art
  • More plants
  • Chair for the bay window
Stay tuned - pictures of the back yard and additional rooms will be posted soon!

8 comments:

Susannah said...

Beautiful!

KtownP said...

It looks sooo beautiful - I love the color! Can't wait to see your new place.

Katie said...

Love it!

Smiling Mama said...

Absolutely lovely!! Just perfect. And those floors...wow! (Very cool about the sewing machine, too!)

Amy Hill said...

I love it! Love the wall color and those floors are GORGEOUS! I also love the new furniture - that's what I would want to buy next if we could! A beautiful new bed and mattress! Oh, and I just finished my first pillow project (for the couches). I went with putting zippers in and I'm so glad I took the extra step (especially with kids and a cat), since I have washed them a few times already!

Organized Living by Amy said...

It looks great. All of your flat finishes are making me want flat versus semi-gloss.

SusanL said...

Absolutely beautiful! I think I am now a fan of the flat finish. Can't wait to see more pictures.

Rachel said...

The paint job looks so nice! Justin moved from his crib directly to the queen size bed that we still use (his dad's from his college days!). We (well, primarily myself) are anticipating the day we can graduate to a "real bed"!