Friday, April 24, 2009

a stunning realization

Someone just helpfully reminded me that the marathon is only five weeks away. And I have not run farther than 12 miles since March 21st!!! But tomorrow... tomorrow, Lord willing, I tackle the big 20. I will rise early so that I can get a solid 3.5 - 4 hours of running in (yes, that's how long it will probably take me) before picking up my friend Jenny from the metro at 11:40 a.m. and then heading to book club at noon. I claim a spot on the comfy couch at book club! Be forewarned though, that once I sink into those cushions tomorrow afternoon, I may not be able to rise again for quite some time.

Right now, I look forward to the long run. The weather forecast promises beautiful conditions. I will run early in the morning before it gets too hot. I long for some uninterrupted quiet time and I should get plenty of it tomorrow. There's a chance though, that I'll feel a little differently when the alarm sounds at 5 a.m. on a Saturday. But once my feet hit the pavement, every mile is one step closer to the finish line. Rest assured that I will most definitely be counting down.

No comments: