Wednesday, April 15, 2009

squatting at its best

I am starting to wonder when our house will really feel like it belongs to us. Since we received the keys 16 days ago and we moved 9 days ago, we have kept ourselves busy every single minute outside of our real jobs with moving, unpacking, and home improvement projects. Right now I feel as though I'm working my tail off to prepare a lovely home for the owners, whoever they are and whenever they eventually return from wherever they went. Living with freshly painted walls and updated kitchen appliances that actually work well feels a little unusual. And I can't completely shake the feeling that I'm snooping around someone else's house as I explore every nook and cranny of the place as we unpack and store our belongings.

I've jumped back on the running horse this week, and as I pass our old block and apartment on my way to Lincoln Park in the mornings, I can't help but think of how much that area feels like home to me. We only moved about seven blocks away, but I do miss our old block sometimes. Although we were the lowly renters, living among physicians, lawyers, and professors boasting about their million-dollar homes, we loved it there. Our block now consists of a more eclectic crowd, but I hope to get to know our new neighbors better very soon. Once I finally believe that the house really belongs to us.

2 comments:

Smiling Mama said...

Getting to know your new neighbors will help make you feel like the home really belongs to you! I know exactly what you mean, though. It will feel like home soon enough!

Smiling Mama said...

P.S. Maybe your first night having friends over will help the process along. Hint. Hint. :)