Monday, April 27, 2009

a lively kitchen

The house is far from ready, but I will post pictures over the next few months as I (mostly) complete rooms and beautify the yard. Because I (voluntarily) spend most of my time in the kitchen when I am home, this room immediately became my first priority to finalize. Plus, Brad and I quickly tired of eating out during our move, and we both longed for home-cooked meals, which meant that we needed a functioning kitchen. I'm proud to say that in only three weeks, my unofficial catering service is up and running as I've already made several dishes for events and I plan to make a meal tonight to deliver to a family from church who just had a baby.

The kitchen's original wall color was a very, very light gray, which I thought looked like a dirty white. Even though the kitchen boasted granite counter tops and stainless steel appliances, the dirty-looking wall color made a potentially beautiful room nondescript at best. I longed for life in the kitchen! I think that it's an understatement to say that the kitchen now lives!

I chose a fun, bright fun green (appropriately named pesto), with an accent wall in a more neutral color (harvest brown, the same color that we used in the living room). I have to admit that I already leaned toward green when I solicited paint color ideas for the kitchen, but I completely appreciate the assurance that I received in the responses! I love how the kitchen turned out.

Here is the view as I walk from the dining room into the kitchen. Notice the neutral wall on the right (which is visible from the dining room). We needed a neutral color to transition from a bold-colored dining room (that was already painted a color that I love) to another bold-colored room. The door on the left of the picture leads into the half bathroom. The back door opens onto our deck and leads into the back yard.


Here is a closer view of the main part of the kitchen. Notice the shelves on the right edge of my cabinet that I filled with tiny houseplants! I drew inspiration from my friends who have used FLOR tiles and created my own area rug.


Here is a closer view of the rug. It's hard to tell from this picture, but it really pulls the green and brown walls together with the black and gray tones of the counter tops and appliances. All of these hues are present in the needlepoint stitch design (color = laurel).

Here is the view as I stand with my back at the rear door of the house. How I love using appliances that actually work well!


Here is a second shot of the view from the back door. The door at the back of the picture leads to the basement. The open doorway is the entrance to the dining room, and the door on the right leads into the half bathroom. The one thing that our house does not have is a coat closet, but the sellers left us a nifty rack in the kitchen that holds 4-6 coats (you can see several spring jackets displayed).


Of course, most tasks are never quite finished. I still plan to add a simple valance at the top of the kitchen window and possibly a piece of art over the refrigerator (but the art in this spot is really my last priority... I have too many other blank walls to fill first!).

I am mostly posting these pictures for my out-of-town readers. Local readers, I still expect you to come over to see everything in person! I promise to issue an invitation very soon.

5 comments:

Smiling Mama said...

Beautiful! I love, love, love it!!! You did such a great job. What a bear that must have been to paint.

Amy Hill said...

Beautiful! I love it! Looks like a gorgeous house! Keep the pictures coming!

Organized Living by Amy said...

I love that green...looks a lot like the green we used in Maev's room.

Katie said...

Yeah! I voted for a green kitchen. I'm so glad to see pictures! It looks beautiful - so so nice.

Jennifer said...

I love it! The green is great and very lively! (Our living/dining room is primarily harvest brown. Good choice.)