Tuesday, March 10, 2009

the irony

One of Brad's and my favorite features about our current apartment is the private, rooftop deck that affords us glimpses of the Library of Congress, Senate Office Buildings, Supreme Court, National Cathedral, the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, and much of the Capitol Hill neighborhood. We enjoy views of most DC sights from our deck EXCEPT for the U.S. Capitol Building. Well, until this past Saturday.

Decades ago, some smart person planted an evergreen tree on Tenth Street, NE, which just so happened to grow over five stories tall, and has stubbornly and perfectly blocked our view of the U.S. Capitol since Brad moved in over eight years ago. And because the tree keeps its leaves year round, the magnificent white dome eludes us in the winter too. You have no idea how much this has frustrated us over the years. We live so close to the capitol, yet on our roof we might as well be miles away because we can't see a speck of it. About four years ago, producers of the West Wing television show called our landlord to ask permission to film from our rooftop deck (they combed the area looking for the perfect Capitol Hill rooftop and discovered our place!). When our landlord called to give us a heads-up, we regretfully explained that we actually didn't have a view of the capitol because of the tree. Once they heard the news, the West Wing folks never called back. We couldn't blame them.

So on Saturday afternoon, Brad and I decided to enjoy a few minutes of the beautiful weather from our roof, as we will be moving soon and will no longer have this luxury. When I got to the deck and turned around, I was instantly stunned to see the U.S. Capitol AND the Washington Monument looming over me. They looked so close! Where did they come from? And then suddenly, Brad and I realized that the evergreen tree had died! It was still standing, but it looked completely dead. And the other view-blocking tree on Ninth street is, thankfully, deciduous and barren. We finally enjoyed the view from our deck that we always longed for.

And now we're moving in less than four weeks. Ah, the irony. But we plan to enjoy the roof and the view as much as we can until we turn it over to the next residents.

4 comments:

Susannah said...

I never knew this about your deck! I told Derek and he was so excited at the prospect of West Wing coming to use your deck, even if it didn't pan out. Enjoy these last 4 weeks with the view! It's God's treat for you to reward you for your patience:)

Katie said...

Oh that is too funny! Enjoy these last few weeks!

Smiling Mama said...

I am certain you two will enjoy that view as much as possible! I'm sure it will be hard to leave your great apartment! I actually picked my dorm room my sophomore year of college only because it had a small glimpse of the Capitol Dome out the window!

Organized Living by Amy said...

Oh my gosh- that is too funny. I wish I could come over and enjoy the view as well.