Thursday, March 12, 2009

expected, yet unexpected

I recently received a message via Facebook from my old college flame. He was the one that I wanted to be the one before I met the REAL one (does that make sense?). We dated for three years when we were both in our early 20s. The relationship was invigorating, yet heartbreaking in all sorts of ways typical of some relationships during that stage of life. Although we've been out of touch for quite a few years now, I suspected that it would only be a matter of time before he surfaced on Facebook.

After I replied to his "how are you?" query with a brief update on what I've been up to over the past decade, imagine my surprise when I read the conclusion to his response:

"I know it has been a long time, however I wanted to apologize for how things ended and how I (mis)handled the situation. Not to mention my insecurities and actions while we were dating. While I had it together with most aspects of life back then, there were some obvious shortcomings on the maturity side of things. You were and are a wonderful person, and never deserved any of it. I'm truly sorry (Dr. Blondie)."

I believe that his words are sincere. Even twelve years late and when it no longer matters, they're still nice to hear. This exchange just reminds me that God knows exactly what He's doing and to never doubt His master plan.

Has anyone else heard from an old flame via Facebook? I'd love to hear your story!

No comments: