Thursday, February 26, 2009

cuteness

The scene: My office. One of my sophomore students, a bespectacled, insanely smart, rather shy, and definitely awkward young lad stopped by to ask a number of questions about an upcoming assignment for his team. As he was leaving....

Student, turning back toward me as he reached my door: "Oh, by the way, happy belated birthday!"

Me (in shock): "Thank you!"

Student: "We share the same birthday!"

Me: "Really! What year were you born?"

Student: "1989."

Me: (chuckle...)

Me (suddenly panicking that he somehow discovered my blog or found me on Facebook): "Wait...how did you know that I recently celebrated a birthday?"

Student: "Oh, well, Vickie (another woman in the office) has this calendar in her office that lists birthdays and I noticed yours because it was the same day as mine. I hope you had a good one!"

*********

Moments like these are rare with college students, or at least my smarty-pants, socially awkward ones. So of course I had to blog about it to permanently record the memory. So cute.

1 comment:

Susannah said...

Certainly a rarity in the Gemstone office. Good for him!