Monday, February 23, 2009

another apostrophe advocate

My friend and faithful reader, Jennifer, sent me a link to this Washington Post article today because she said that it reminded her of me. I'm comforted to know that I'm not the only one who grows annoyed with rampant apostrophe misuse! When in doubt, check out the resources provided by the Apostrophe Protection Society.

While I love apostrophes and feel fairly confident that I use them correctly most of the time, hyphens are another story. I fear that my hyphen-obsessed readers cringe at every misused or absent, but necessary hyphen on this blog. I'm not even 100% sure that I used the hyphen correctly in the previous sentence. Does anyone have any quick and easy tips that will help me remember how to use hyphens correctly? Post a comment and I'll be glad to share your tips with everyone in a future entry.

Recently, Grammar Girl clarified the head's up, heads-up, or heads up dilemma. Every time I use this phrase in an email, I find myself googling it to check which version is correct. Here's the dirt:
Used as an interjection: Heads up, I'm on my way over!
Used as a noun: I'm calling to give you a heads-up about the situation.

What aspects of grammar do you find most confusing? What grammar mistakes drive you crazy?

4 comments:

Katie said...

I can't stand it when someone uses "till" for "'til".
Also anytime someone uses a "z" for an "s". I know they are not trying to be grammatical but it drives me nuts!!!

Katie said...

Just found a site for you on the "New York Times", http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/timestopics/subjects/e/english_language/grammar/index.html

Katie said...

http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/
reference/timestopics/subjects/e/
english_language/grammar/index.html

Dr. Blondie said...

Yes, thank you!! I actually have added the NY Times Topics blog to my google reader account - love it!