Monday, January 5, 2009

to live again

The world arose today from a deep slumber. Schools opened, traffic jammed, and every person I know returned to work. I experienced a decent and fairly productive first day back, mostly because I had decided that it was time for our comedy-of-errors break to end. When Brad awoke this morning feeling like his throat was on fire, I officially gave up.

Seriously. In two weeks, Brad and I endured:
  • a stomach bug
  • a fractured wrist
  • 1.5 days of heartache and a fair share of tears (I'll give my faithful readers one guess regarding who's acting up or should I say out again.)
  • a head cold
  • potentially delicious meals that were wasted (see first bullet above)
  • three poor movie choices (well, Milk was okay, Sean Penn is worth seeing, but avoid Marley & Me and Revolutionary Road - yes, the Leo and Kate movie - I know, it breaks my heart too!)
Although this break had its setbacks, I will say that I absolutely cherished the thirteen days of 24/7 time with my husband, vomit and all. I wasn't ready to leave Brad this morning. I never tire of Brad's company or presence, which really works out well since we're, you know, joined for life and all.

Looking forward, I adore the month of January. The start of a new year always excites me. I love the anticipation of all that I can cram into the next 365 days. My students don't return until January 26th, so I utilize three peaceful weeks at work to accomplish a laundry list of spring tasks. The weather, though crisp and cold, is ideal for hot-natured runners like me. My social schedule feels more manageable now than in December, yet we still have celebratory occasions, like Brad's birthday at the end of the month, to keep us active.

January is my breath of fresh air. And I am inhaling deeply.

5 comments:

joshua Henkin said...

Thanks for commenting on Jennifer's post over at Book Club Girl about my visits to book groups to discuss my novel MATRIMONY. I wanted to let you know that if your book group is interested in discussing MATRIMONY and having me participate in the discussion, I'd be delighted to set something up. MATRIMONY was a New York Times Notable Book, and Michael Cunningham, Pulitzer-Prize-winning author of THE HOURS, called it "a beautiful book." Here's what People Magazine said about MATRIMONY: "Charming... Henkin keeps you reading with original characters, witty dialogue, and a view that marriage, for all its flaws, is worth the trouble." I've been participating in a lot of book group discussions of MATRIMONY--I've now participated in over 80 book group discussions in person, by phone, and online, and I'd be delighted to participate with your book group. Also, I don't know if you saw the Philadelphia Inquirer article over the holidays about my visits to book groups (this is the article Book Club Girl mentioned), but in case you didn't, it's attached here. http://www.philly.com/philly/living/20081223_Author__your_group_is_calling.html

Happy new year, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,


Josh
http://www.joshuahenkin.com




PRAISE FOR MATRIMONY, a NEW YORK TIMES NOTABLE BOOK, a National Booksense Pick,
and a Borders Original Voices Selection:

"In the tradition of John Cheever and Richard Yates ... a novel about
love, hope, delusion, and the intricate ways in which time's passage
raises us up even as it grinds us down. It's a beautiful book. Here's to
its brilliant future."
--Michael Cunningham, Pulitzer-Prize-winning author of The Hours

"Truly an up-all-night read."
--Adriana Leshko, The Washington Post

"Mr. Henkin writes with a winningly anachronistic absence of showiness....
This is just a lifelike, likable book populated by three-dimensional
characters who make themselves very much at home on the page."
--Janet Maslin, The New York Times

"Beguiling.... [Henkin write] effortless scenes that float between past and
present. [He creates] an almost personal nostalgia for these characters."
--Jennifer Egan, The New York Times Book Review

"[A] charming novel ... Henkin keeps you reading with original characters,
witty dialogue and a view that marriage, for all its flaws, is worth the
trouble."
--Tom Fields-Meyer, People

"Radiates the kind of offbeat shoulder-shrugging charm that made Michael
Chabon's The Mysteries of Pittsburgh so memorable.... [Matrimony] gets to
you and stays with you."
--Kirkus Reviews

joshua Henkin said...

p.s. you can reach me at Jhenkin [at] SLc [dot] edu

Organized Living by Amy said...

Just wanted to say that I did NOT recommend seeing Marley or Revolutionary Road. :)

We've seen all the award buzz-worthy movies (except The Wrestler- it's not out here until the end of the month). Here are my rankings: 1. Benjamin Button 2. Frost/Nixon 3. Milk 4. Doubt 5. Slumdog Millionaire

Katie said...

Happy New Year! Your positive outlook is helping me - It's been tough getting back to work (I'd love to be independently wealthy!). I'm sad to hear you don't recommend Revolutionary Road, I had it in mind to see, but now I won't. I've gotten to the point I'm almost afraid to go to the movies because I don't want to be depressed or disappointed.

Smiling Mama said...

Positive outlook is right. I think cursing the world if I had a break like yours and yet you end with such a beautiful sentiment. Thanks for it!!