Friday, January 16, 2009

not only still kicking, still RUNNING

One of our park friends turns 85 years old today! And as Ellis so proudly mentioned to Brad and me earlier in the week, "I turn 85 years old this Friday, and I'm still out here, running!". Or I should say shuffling. But he is the sweetest, most adorable 85-year-old shuffler I've ever seen.

I told him that I hope that I'm still breathing when I turn 85.

Although Brad and I hoped to wish him a happy birthday in person this morning, the 12 degree weather with a wind chill in negative numbers kept us warm and snug in bed. Ellis has no business being out in this weather either, so I hope that he stayed home today too.

While I'm thinking about running, I came across this quote yesterday:

"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
- George S. Patton, U. S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

So true! Especially when running long distances. My body won this morning when I decided to stay in bed rather than brave the cold temperatures. But hopefully my mind will prevail next time. I'll start working on it. As soon as it warms up a little.

No comments: