Friday, December 19, 2008

scene it?

Gentle readers, I need your help. My movie-watching season begins in earnest within days. I (unintentionally) forgo movies from March through mid-December and then usually see about five movies in the theater over Christmas break and a few more in January and February to ready myself for the academy awards. I have no idea what's playing or what's supposed to be good this year. Advice, please!

I haven't rented a movie in over a year, so I seek your wise counsel on must-see rentals also.

Please comment and let me know: 1) recent movies that you've seen that you think are worth my time (either in the theater or on dvd), and 2) what movies you plan to watch over the holidays.

Muchas gracias!

3 comments:

Susannah said...

Oh, I'm so happy you're asking for suggestions! I just watched Cranford, a historical piece set in the 1840's in England. I know you're a Pride and Prejudice lover and this is right up that alley. It stars Judi Dench and is up for a few awards. It was SOOOOOOOO good. It's a 5-part series, so it will require a bit of time, but is well worth it. I laughed, I cried, and I dreamt that I was living in that era!

Amy said...

This is easy:

Movies to See in the Theater-
Milk, Doubt, Slumdog Millionaire, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, The Wrestler. (All have major Oscar/award buzz)

Netflix Worthy (New Releases)-
Wall-E, Charlie Wilson's War, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I'm Not There, Iron Man

Rent Worthy Docs/Indies-
The King of Kong, Man on Wire, Young at Heart, Son of Rambow, In Bruges, The Hammer, Lars and the Real Girl, Once

That should get you started. Happy watching!

torey said...

we go to the movies almost every week :-) Here are a few of my favs so far from 2008: Wall-E, Gone Baby Gone, in the Valley of Elah, Iron Man, The Dark Knight, Juno, King Fu Panda, and Persepolis. I want to see Milk and Revolutionary Road over the holidays. Enjoy!