Thursday, November 13, 2008

wally love

Does anyone else adore author Wally Lamb?

She's Come Undone is one of my favorite books. I love, love, love it. I felt as though the author (who I could NOT believe was a man) spoke directly to me throughout the book. While Dolores Price, the protagonist, experienced different family circumstances and challenges than I have and do, Dolores's journey toward normalcy, whatever that means, really resonated with me. Or, maybe I'm just attracted to stories about extreme family dysfunction, which I fear may be evidenced in my book club's upcoming selection in January, which I chose.

I also liked Wally's (we're on a first-name basis, you see) I Know This Much Is True. People argue about which one of his books is actually better and I've concluded that readers tend to favor the book that they read first, which is true in my case.

Anyway, the exciting news is that Wally FINALLY has a new book out, as of two days ago, and I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON IT!

2 comments:

Susannah said...

Fall On Your Knees!!!! You're going to LOVE it. If I was forced at some point to choose one ABSOLUTE favorite book (which would be a tragedy), I would choose this!

Lisa Tucker said...

I finished Hour a few days ago. Actually, I devoured it over Thanksgiving. The best thing about Wally writing is that he's not afraid to make his characters--even the ones you are supposed to root for--imperfect, full of flaws and mistake-prone...normal, I guess! (My only complaint is that I've had a few mornings this week where I woke up scared after a dream about gunmen.)