Tuesday, November 4, 2008

election day hives

I often jest about a number of situations that are certain to guarantee me a hive outbreak, but the joke is now on me. Late yesterday afternoon, I discovered some swollen, itchy, painful patches on my hands and arms. I'm now fighting the urge to itch my feet and stomach. My body is definitely at war with something. I woke up on Sunday morning with a strange, colorless rash on my neck.... and now the hive thing.

This malady brings back memories of my only other encounter with hives, which occurred when I was eight or nine years old. Immersed in a school read-a-thon to raise money for multiple sclerosis research, I dreamed one night that I acquired the disease, lost my vision, and could no longer read. I awoke in a panic, and my hands flew to my face as I felt swelling around my eyes and lips. A glance in the bathroom mirror revealed my disfigured face. I ripped off my clothes to find my body covered in bright red bumps. A trip to the doctor revealed that my hives symbolized an allergic reaction to penicillin, which up until that point, I had consumed by the gallon to fight a chronic ear infection.

I think that I know the perfect cure for my condition today: a free, star-shaped donut from Krispy Kreme just for displaying my "I voted" sticker!

No comments: