Monday, October 20, 2008

Nothing that a sweet treat won't fix...

I woke up in a rotten mood one day last week. I have no idea why other than it was just one of those days when I decided that it was my turn to be a jerk to people. I left for work in a huff after I yelled at Brad for not being available to help me carry the groceries up our bazillion stairs (How dare him! I mean, I was going to the store alone... he could at least be at home when I needed him to be and carry the bags upstairs for me, right? Right?!). My annoyance quickly accelerated into one of those "I do everything and you do nothing" type of spats, which of course, are completely irrational and not based on anything but a bad mood. But that was my temperament that morning. Luckily, I didn't have any meetings that day, so I avoided others and kept a low profile at work.

I arrived home at the end of the day, knowing that I should apologize, but I still felt a little surly... that is, until Brad walked in and handed me a delightful cardboard box that contained four delicacies from Hello Cupcake, the latest in the wave of cupcake-focused bakeries in DC. My sweetheart knows me so well. He suspected that a surprise froufrou cupcake would diminish my bad mood immediately, and he was right. This bakery is only three doors down from his office and I've been asking him about it for weeks. Brad picked the perfect day to sample the selection and surprise me.

I'm convinced that food is a crucial part of love. I believe that it can make or break a relationship.

3 comments:

Smiling Mama said...

I know that Abel occasionally goes over to your blog from mine so I'm REALLY hoping he sees this post! :)

Susannah said...

I just said "awwww" out loud. What a good hubby, Brad! Derek occasionally brings M&M's home and I love him extra much on those days. :)

Katie said...

I know this is obvious but jewelry is also a nice pick-me-up! I was having the worst day ever back in February, the day John called me from downtown Boston and asked me to meet him - he had just bought our engagement ring. I cheered right up!!! Boys do the right thing sometimes, don't they?