Thursday, October 2, 2008

Grading and more grading

Here's what I've been up to this week:
  • 135 sophomore students in my class this semester
  • Each student submitted two research article critiques to me last Thursday
  • I enforced a limit of two typed pages per critique (THANK YOU Lord for this wisdom), which means no more than four pages per student (or I threatened to stop reading and to dock points for ignoring the parameters of the assignment)
  • I'll do the math for you. 135 X 2 X 2 = 540 pages of grading
  • This is the first of several assignments that I am grading this semester. It has only just begun.
I've been plowing through the article critiques since Monday and even though I'm now about two-thirds of the way done, I am still drowning in paper. But I am rich in second-hand knowledge of all kinds of research projects that I know absolutely nothing about! Who can't benefit from learning how to measure the antioxidants found in grape seed oil or how a device that captures wave energy works? For me at least, these burning questions have been gnawing at me for years.

No comments: